Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

I love the smell of grease in the morning...

:)

Changed my front disk brakes...fun hour and a half for me today.  Took me a bit longer than the auto shops, but then - I don't do this every day and hadn't changed them on this particular vehicle before.  So now 'baby got a new pair of shoes' - my 2003 Ford Escape has more stopping power!  ;)

So I started by getting most of the tools I thought I'd need and making sure I knew where to put the jack on the frame.  Then, after loosening the lug nuts, I jacked up the car, removed the lug nuts, and took off the tires.

Had to loosen the hex bolts first to get the caliper off...*after* I realized I didn't readily have the right size hex - dammit.  ;)  There's always *something* you're missing and have to get!  ;)

Had to use a flathead screw driver to push the bolt out of the way once it was loosened.

Removed the old spring from the brake assembly.

Opened her up and GEEZE it was time to change them.  Side by side view of the brake pads.

Used a C Clamp and the old brake pad to push the fluid back into the master cylinder...

I.....don't know why I took this photo...er..proly to show the thickness of the new pad.  :D

New pads put into the assembly...aren't they purty!?!?!?!

Fit the assembly back in and line up the bolts to the holes...

Gotta love the socket action...!

It's all on and purty!  :)

Make sure everything is lined up properly...

Don't forget the springs!  After you get the tires back on - it's important to tighten the lug nuts AFTER you take the vehicle off of the jack.  Also important to test and pump your brakes *before* you start rolling!  ;)

Grubby hands....

Grubbiness...but no blood!  :)

I highly recommend Fast Orange for getting that pesky grease off - it's a great exfoliant for your hands, too!

2 comments:

  1. You should have waited for me and Vinnce to help! Glad you got it done though. Love, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I probably should have waited for you guys...but I got it done. Now we can just enjoy doing other fun things (like building an octokopter) together instead of 'chores' when you're home from travelling. :)

    I Love You, Too!

    ReplyDelete